Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Clever Joke About Being Stoned, Anyone?



Ben Russell sent in a couple of photos of Old Skools that he'd carved out of stone. I thought, "Wtf. He's got awesome craft, and its not everyday that you happen into a real live stone carver...except for that one that I knew in college...stone carver & into concealed weapons." Anyway, back to the matter at hand and yes, I did have a few questions for this youngin' Ben. Get impressed:



"I am a student currently living and studying in London. After completing a two year Foundation Degree in Applied Architectural Stone Work and Conservation for which I was awarded a Merit (and chosen as a winner at the annual carving competition at the college two years running) I decided to further my carving skills at the City and Guilds of London Art School where I am in my first year of a two year Post Graduate Diploma in Historic Carving. Here we are trained in the traditional techniques of carving stone along with lettering, modelling in clay and drawing. I carved my shoe as an experiment in working with different textures and wanted to try to capture the worn leather and the pattern on the sole.It is carved in Portland stone and I put a real lace into the shoe to make it look as real as possible. I chose a Vans shoe as they are the most recognisable skate shoe and my shoe of choice for skateboarding. I am hoping to display the piece in the Royal Academy summer exhibition (14th June-22nd Aug). Alongside stone carving I also do alot of illustration."





See more of BEN RUSSELL'S WORK WITH ALL THESE CAPS. Wait, wait! How about alternate title "Ben Russell is a (Stone) Cutter" as in double entendre emo way? No? Eh, ok. No. Fine.