Tuesday, December 29, 2009

American Salvage

I was thumbing through The Atlantic the other day when I saw an ad for a collection of short stories by Bonnie Jo Campbell called American Salvage. It was a National Book Award finalist in 2009 therefore I have a legitimate reason to put the book in my que in spite of the Vans shot on the cover. Tipping the scales in the direction of 'say no more' here's a review from NPR's Alan Cheuse, "...stories about cold, lonely, meth-drenched, modern, working-class, small-town Michigan life, there's a roughness & even beauty."

How many points do I get for mentioning The Atlantic, NPR & a National Book Award finalist all in one post? How about if I was sipping cognac in first class on the way back from a weekend jaunt to Paris for a fixed gear rally/art show? Eyyoooo!