Wednesday, September 30, 2009

DIY Cardboard Vans

Yesterday an extremely enthusiastic kid messaged me on twitter to show me a project he was working on. As it happens, he's resourceful and made something cool. I got a kick out of his email...



"Hello Nikki Scoggins, my name is Chaun Collins. I am 17 years old. I currently live in Newark, Delaware. I like making designs for shirts, like graphic tees sneakers etc. I am currently trying to start my own clothing line but I love VANS sneakers. I was trying to create my own shoe designs and hoped that someone out there would like them and help me make them so I sent my sneaker to you guys. I couldn't figure out an easy way to make the sneakers so I searched and searched for easy ways to make a sneaker. While searching I stumbled upon some work by artist MIKE LEAVITT and he designed his shoes out of cardboard. This seemed like a very low budget way of making model sneakers. It inspired me to make a pair of my own; so I did. It takes me around and hour to make both shoes. The materials I used are, a hot glue gun, VANS shoe boxes, staples and a stapler."




Right on. Chaun is requesting feedback to HIS TWITTER. Here are Mike Leavitt's cardboard Vans, too. Make sure to check out his sculptures on MIKE LEAVITT's SITE.