Thursday, April 9, 2009

Digging The Artworks: Interview with Yuzuru Namiki


Yuzuru Namiki is a 27 year-old Japanese illustrator whose style is pop-gore intense. He's landed a recent cover on AIR WAR MAGAZINE, is doing work for a couple of skate companies and has a laundry list of musicians he's working with including DJ LE CASTLEVANIA. I asked him a few questions about his work, and he responded both enthusiastically and self-consciously about his english language skills. After explaining that his English is about 4,678,009,879,098 times better than the Japanese that I learned from that one Styx song, he felt better about it.



When did you get your first pair of Vans?

Um.. I’m not sure. Maybe 13-14? My first Vans is Slipon. That was looks good.






Who are the artists that most influence your work?

Is the Japanese Manga artist(Cartoonist) Katsuhiro Otomo (AKIRA) and Akira Toriyama (DRAGON BALL). They gave a lot inspiring me when I was childhood. They are greatest artist. And then they are also excellent hard worker. I still have huge respect to them now.



What is your favorite project that you have worked on so far?

All that I had done. I’m always working with my best one. Though it doesn't become an answer. Yea, this time was very exciting. These are definitely one of the my favorite work.




To contact Yuzuru, hit him up on his YZR MYSPACE or his website YZR CRAFTSMAN while you can still afford him. By the way, I must mention that his emails may have been the most pleasant and courteous I've ever received. His parents would be proud. Thanks, Arigatou, Yuzuru!