Friday, January 16, 2009

Custom Vans by Craig Roccanova

With a name like Craig Roccanova, I'd expect this guy to be a club promoter or a boxer or something. ("Ey! Yo! Roccanova! Get ovah heyahh!" See what I mean?) Alas, his life's mission will (probably) have less hair gel and shiny shirts. He's an artist. Here's what the 21-year-old Huntington Beach resident had to say about his work:

"I have been drawing in this style for 3 years now and I always wanted to do it on a pair of shoes for myself. Although, for six months last year, I was without a job so I started selling custom Vans out of my apartment while living in San Rafael. They were a huge hit and soon I had students and friends buying them left and right. I am am a huge fan of M.C. Escher. I really look at my work as being optical art. It seems as though the "worm" is free floating on the page or on the shoes."

"When I was younger I did a lot of skateboarding. Vans have always been my favorite skate shoe. I got my first pair of Slip-ons when I was 13 and since then I haven't had them any different. I recently had a show at The Lab in Costa Mesa and plan on having my first solo show before I turn 25 (so I have four years)."

You can see more of Craig's work on his site. It's pretty good: "EH! YO! ROCCANOVA! TAKE CARE 'A DIS GUY!"