Saturday, October 25, 2008

Quickie Interview: Artist Joshua Petker

I stumbled across the work of LA artist Joshua Petker earlier this week after reading about his show at the Corey Helford Gallery in Culver City, CA. Josh paints girls, but it's more than that.

"I am a contemporary painter interested in historic themes. There isn't anything wrong with that. I don't have any art school loans to pay back. I primarily paint women because I'm tremendously influenced by Klimt - and really focused on beauty," says Petker.

Josh also happens to have a pretty ridiculous collection of Vans. I sent him a few questions asking how his scandalous affair with the sneaker began:

"I bought my first pair of Vans in 1993. Jr. high school. They were the blue and black classic old schools.

I remember my ex girlfriend from 7th grade wore Vans all the time. I thought she was pretty regardless of her shoes but I did love her Vans. Sounds like I'm making a sales pitch haha. But, I bought a pair after hers and have worn Vans ever since. Unless I'm wearing boots I always wear Vans."

"The rattiest pair of Vans I have I actually tossed FINALLY after almost ten years, ironically, the weekend before you wrote me. They were the solid white classic old schools. White sole, white canvas, white stripe, everything. I wore those every day when I lived in Europe during college. They looked like literal shit a year after wearing them in, but I wore them for 9 more years and fondly referred to them as my 'up-town-Saturday-nights' - a joke on their once pristine white condition."

I noticed in this detail shot that Josh drew the checkers back over a paint splotch. Way to make them last, yo.

Thanks to Josh for sending in the pics. You can see more of his work on his site: JOSHUA PETKER DOT COM.