Friday, September 12, 2008

Metal Unicorn Spotted in San Diego


I found San Diego artist Metal Unicorn through an associate of mine. She doesn't only paint Vans for adults, she does kids' sizes as well. I emailed her to see what her deal is and conveniently enough she explained her work much better than I can. (really? ha) Here's what she had to say:

"I have a BLASTED LAZY EYE... which I use to pirate my way thru the universe & draw cartoons. My first pair of Vans was a tribute to Marc Bolan from T.Rex. I was looking for a way to interest people, in order to publish my children's books. This assortment (at Milo) could be called "Fairytale" or " Whimsy." Just childhood images I enjoy, old and new. Each shoe is detailed, sides, back, taking many long hours, illustrated by hand... using acrylics, waterproof micron ink, flexible protective varnish. I collect classic children's literature, and hope to do more on kid's shoes such as; The Wind in the Willows, Dr. Seuss, Alice in Wonderland, E.Gorey, Wizard of Oz, Pippi Longstocking, ect. Reading books... is the most important way to learn in this lifetime, I believe this wholeheartedly."




Way to go with that eye patch, miss! Score one for somewhat necessary medical accessories. See more of her work HERE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, those shoes are amazing. Do I have to go all the way to San Diego for them, or can I order them from Milo or the Metal Unicorn online?

Also, any chance Metal Unicorn is going to do a self-portrait series of slip ons? Because if you don't mind me saying, this pirate creature is a babe. Goddess...

Anonymous said...

I think she has an etsy now... Metalunicorn@etsy.com. I love the Nightmare before xmas ones :)

Anonymous said...

She has an etsy now, metalunicorn@etsy.com... I like the nightmare before xmas ones :)